18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

The Facts on E-Cigarettes

samanthasamantha Posts: 3,061Administrator, Moderator admin
Very interesting information to help clarify what information is concrete & what's not...

Q: Have scientists confirmed that e-cigarettes cause an incurable respiratory disease called “popcorn lung”?

A: No. The vapor of some e-cigarettes contains a chemical associated with popcorn lung, but there’s not enough evidence to conclude they cause the disease.  

FULL QUESTION

I ran into an article about vaping that I’m not sure about. I know there’s been a ton of media coverage on the topic and it’s pretty difficult to sort the fake from the real, at least for me. If you could verify this article for me, that would be fantastic.

FULL ANSWER

Electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, deliver nicotine, flavorings and other chemicals to users in the form of a vapor. They’re “designed to simulate the act of tobacco smoking” and “often promoted as safer alternatives to traditional cigarettes,” writes the National Institute on Drug Abuse. 

One of our readers forwarded us an article on e-cigarettes published on the website Discover Newz in April. The article’s headline said, “Confirmed: E-cigarettes Cause a Horrible Incurable Disease Called ‘Popcorn Lung.’ Worse Than Lung Cancer!” Other websites have published identical pieces. Cumulatively, Facebook users have shared this article tens of thousands of times.

While the body of the article summarizes the findings of a legitimate scientific study, the headline is wrong. Researchers have not confirmed that e-cigarettes cause bronchiolitis obliterans, or “popcorn lung.” But they do know that a chemical associated with the disease has been found in the vapor of some e-cigarettes.

Bronchiolitis obliterans is an incurable disease characterized by the scarring of the smallest airways in the lung, the bronchioles. That scarring limits the passage of air. If the disease becomes severe enough, the only treatment option may be a lung transplant. 

As the NIDA notes, much remains unknown about the health risks of e-cigarettes, including whether or not they are safer than conventional cigarettes. There also isn’t enough evidence to say definitively they’re effective at helping people to quit smoking.

We’ll first provide some background on e-cigarettes, including their sales trend and regulatory status, before moving on to the evidence for and against the theory that they cause bronchiolitis obliterans and other health concerns. 

The Rise of E-Cigarettes

E-cigarettes were first introduced into the U.S. market in 2007. With roughly $2.5 billion in projected sales in 2014, they could surpass the sales of conventional cigarettes by 2023, if the growth trend continues, according to Well Fargo Securities.

However, the Wall Street Journal reported that e-cigarette sales declined in 2015, “bringing an end to five years of triple-digit growth.” The decline was likely due to “[c]ustomer dissatisfaction, inventory backlogs, state laws and safety issues,” the paper said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says 3.5 percent of adults were e-cigarette users in 2015. Among adult e-cigarette users, 59 percent were also current cigarette users, 30 percent were former cigarette users and 11 percent had never been a smoker.

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/05/facts-e-cigarettes/
Tagged:

Comments

• Loonam46Loonam46 Posts: 1Member
    Thank you very much for sharing these The Facts on E-Cigarettes. It was way too informative for me. I was addicted to opiate and smoking so got the treatment at suboxone treatment virginia beach center. The staff over there helped me a lot to get rid of these things.
  • samanthasamantha Posts: 3,061Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hi @Loonam46! Welcome to the V2 forum. I'm glad to hear you are doing better. It sounds like vaping helped you transform your lifestyle. If that is the case, that is powerful and congrats on making such a huge change. Please let me know if you have any questions about V2 or our products and I will be glad to help. Also - how did you find out about V2? It's always interesting to see/hear where new customers learn about us:)