18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Newsweek Reports that Vaping “Could Save Tobacco Users’ Lives”

samanthasamantha Posts: 3,015Administrator, Moderator admin

As reported by Newsweek Magazine, a study conducted by the Georgetown Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center concluded that “tobacco users who turn to vaping generally live longer.”This may come as a surprise to those who have come across articles online that claim vaping is just as harmful as smoking. The article also states that, according to Dr. Frank Baeyens of KU Leuven University in Belgium, “the science backing e-cigarettes as a better alternative to traditional cigarettes is already there. The real struggle will be getting the public to see this and then make the switch.”At V2, our focus is on innovation in the vapor technology industry. While we make no health claims with regard to the use of our products, we appreciate that scientific studies are replacing misinformation about the effects of vaping on the human body. This falls in line with the FDA’s recent shift on their vaping regulation policy.You can learn more about the Georgetown study and its findings here. What do you think about the conclusions presented?FULL BLOG POST: https://www.v2.com/blog/2017/10/newsweek-reports-vaping-could-save-tobacco-users-lives/

Tagged:

Comments

• rbarron316rbarron316 Posts: 49Member
    Let's forget for a moment all of these studies.  Suppose vaping does not lead to a single extra day of longevity.  From one who has smoked pretty heavily since age 12 and for 46 years thereafter, within a few days of stopping 7 months ago today, I can actually climb stairs without becoming winded, I can wake up in the mornings and not cough for hours trying to clear my lungs, I can take walks without becoming exerted, I don't have a cigarette odor hanging over me, I don't have the majority of the non-smoking public giving me disapproving looks, I don't have to go outside any longer during the heat of summer or the chill of winter, I don't have to spend tons of money supporting a habit, I don't have to go out weekly and buy smokes, I don't burn any more clothing or fingers, and on and on and on.

Vaping is a no-brainer.  Even if I don't achieve an extra second of breathing.
  • rbaker1009rbaker1009 Posts: 1,150Member
    The importance of these studies confirming the benefits of vaping over smoking is not to reaffirm what we vapers already know. We know that we have personally experienced measurably improved health when switching to vaping.

The importance of these studies is to keep vaping from being categorized the same as any tobacco product with the accompanying oppressive regulation, taxation, increased cost, reduced access and stigma.

I agree @rbarron316 that vaping is clearly a better choice. The problem is that the vast majority of non vapers view vaping as no different, and as harmful, as smoking. It takes a lot of proof to move the needle on that perception and until that majority perception is changed vaping itself is threatened. 
  • rbarron316rbarron316 Posts: 49Member
    @rbaker1009

At least in the U.S., vaping stands very little chance of becoming the standard.  Three largest beneficiaries of tobacco use:

Tobacco companies.  Billions and billions and billions of revenue.  Less than 200,000 jobs in the U.S. are directly related to tobacco (exclusive of retailing).  A pittance.  Most of those are agricultural related and could be replaced with other forms of agriculture.

Federal and state government.  The more tobacco deaths, the merrier.  You can be sure actuaries are counting on a certain number of early tobacco related deaths, which in turn cuts back on those receiving Social Security Retirement Benefits and Medicare benefits.  Add in tax revenues to both federal and state.  Billions and billions and billions of revenue.

Medical profession, including hospitals, doctors, equipment manufacturers, drug companies.  Billions and billions and billions of revenue for treating tobacco related disease.

Just Googled it.  Tobacco related deaths amounted to 100 million people during the 20th century.  It is estimated they will account for 1 billion deaths during the 21st century.  There is just too much financial incentive in death and disease, unfortunately.  Vaping could prove to be manna from heaven, but it doesn't serve the financial interests of those three entities.

I'm not holding my breath.  Good thing about vaping, though, is that I am now able to take a breath to hold.  
  • rbaker1009rbaker1009 Posts: 1,150Member
    Concur with everything in your post @rbarron316. The machine that tobacco has built over decades has many beneficiaries, spoken and unspoken. 

To preserve their crop machine big tobacco will no doubt push their tobacco vaporizer. Which, If widely adopted, would preserve much of their crop component which has a vast infrastructure.  
  • samanthasamantha Posts: 3,015Administrator, Moderator admin
    Agree with both of your for sure @rbaker1009 and @rbarron316. We cannot remotely show or uplift the kind of testimonials like yours, but it is important for people to know the difference and change that so many people experience it. These studies are one of the only means we have for proving vapor products are impacting so many people's lives. It's def a tough, uphill battle.