WARNING: This product contains nicotine.
Nicotine is an addictive chemical.
18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.
Members and Visitors: We've updated our forum category names to help you easily navigate discussions topics. Categories are still in the same order on the homepage, just with different names! Message me with any questions. - Samantha
Interested in joining the conversation? CLICK HERE to become a forum member now!

The FDA's Unjust War on Vaping

samanthasamantha Posts: 3,521Administrator, Moderator admin
FULL ARTICLE:https://townhall.com/columnists/lindseystroud/2018/09/22/fdas-unjust-war-on-vaping-n2521439Actor

William H. Macy once claimed that film industry rating boards have “a perverted point of view about what’s appropriate for children,” decrying the boards’ need to protect children from sexual content while “think[ing] almost any level of violence is okay for children.”

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is also guilty of this hypocritical stance. In September, the agency declared a “youth vaping epidemic,” even though vaping has been proven to help people stop using much more dangerous tobacco products. In its crusade to protect the children, FDA has mounted an assault against tobacco harm reduction (THR), and it has even hinted that it may restrict THR access to adult users, too.

Meanwhile, a real epidemic, one that killed more than 49,000 Americans in 2017, continues to engulf the United States: the opioid crisis. And FDA—the agency supposedly “responsible for protecting the public health”—remains silent as a mouse.

Federal action (or lack thereof) on the opioid crisis goes back to 2002, when a Senate hearing was called to assess the risks and benefits of OxyContin. OxyContin is a prescription opioid painkiller manufactured by Purdue Pharma, one of several defendants in more than 100 lawsuits in states and localities in which plaintiffs are alleging drugmakers were irresponsible in their marketing and distribution of prescription opiates. FDA was a witness in the 2002 hearing, as well as several OxyContin-addicted users.

Youth abuse of prescription opioid painkillers was specifically addressed in the 2002 hearing. One witness relayed a message from a teenager in her community who implored regulators to “take OxyContin off the market,” and that if agencies could not or “will not, then please make a rule where there is much more supervision, regulation and control over it and change is so that it is not so addictive.”

Tagged:

Comments

• rbaker1009rbaker1009 Posts: 1,233Member
    Indeed. When I read and see all the hand wringing about the so called "youth vaping epidemic" I am reminded of my youth. We all smoked cigarettes while being bombarded daily about the dangers of smoking. Knowing the dangers of smoking did not stop any of us, I was 13 when I started smoking full time. 

Point being: America's youth is going to pick up what they pick up regardless of society's warnings and hand wringing. Let's all be thankful today's youth has an option that is magnitudes less harmful than tobacco. Trying to nannie society's vices is futile so lets just make what is available as safe as possible. Marijuana is becoming legal across the US because it is not harmful and making it illegal for moral reasons was a massive failure. I suggest we skip the step of making the same mistake with vaping.

Then again, our government rarely operates on common sense or employ's critical thinking.
  • David1886David1886 Posts: 590Member
    edited October 12
    The Australian Government refuses to accept the fact that vaping saves lives and in many States it's a criminal offence to have e-liquid containing nicotine and a $900.00 fine as they state e-liquid with nicotine is a poison but in stating that Australia Customs will let you import nicotine e-liquid up to a 3 months supply as our Border Security is not responsible for individual State laws.
    The Australian Cancer Council stated that in 2017 Tobacco smoking remains the leading preventable cause of death and disease in Australia. Smoking leads to a wide range of diseases including many types of cancer, heart disease and stroke, chest and lung illnesses and stomach ulcers. It claims the lives of 15,500 Australians every year.
    This might not be as many deaths than in the USA but we only have a population of 25 million people and our Government is just happy for younger people to start smoking analog cigarettes as is considered a trendy thing to do especially when there friends also smoke.
    That's crazy @David1886, If the priority is harm reduction the path for both our governments is clear. I can only assume they are being influenced by lobbyists, outside interests, special interest groups and some form of leverage that protects the traditional tobacco industry. Sad, really.
  • David1886David1886 Posts: 590Member
    edited October 13
    The Government just loves the income received on cigarettes and increases the Tax every year.
    Australia is one of the most expensive places in the world for cigarettes with costs reaching $40.00 a packet of 20 cigarettes by 2020.
    Previous tax increases in 2010 and 2013 have seen cigarette prices in Australia double over the past six years

Treasurer Scott Morrison (who is now the Prime Minister) announced smokers will be paying even more for a packet of cigarettes this year from September 1 2018 it’s the second of four consecutive tobacco excise hikes.
    The levy on cigarettes will rise by 12.5 per cent over four years, increasing the price by more than 50 per cent and raising an estimated $4.7 billiion dollars each year.
    My god a pack a day habit would be $1,200 (US) a month, $14,400 a year. An addiction with that kind of spend drives crime.. Outrageous