18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

What are they talking about? Glossary of electronic cigarette terms

marni_V2cigsmarni_V2cigs Posts: 1,153Member
edited November 2012 in New Members Start Here

I want to thank Totally2Hemp for starting this thread. I moved it so we can have more room and added more terms.

Analog: A name used by electronic cigarette users to describe traditional tobacco cigarettes.

Atomizer: One of the components inside an electronic cigarette which functions with low heat to turn liquid into vapor so it can be inhaled. Atomizers are used on a multitude of products from perfume bottles, inhalers and cooking sprays.

Attys: shortened version for Atomizer (used in forums).

Automatic Battery: An electronic cigarette battery which automatically functions when someone inhales (no switch).

Battery: This typically rechargeable component provides power to the atomizer when the user inhales on the mouthpiece. Most electronic cigarettes employ a lithium ion battery which ranges in size. An LED light on the end glows to signal activation from inhalation or when the button is pushed on a manual battery.

Batts: shortened version for battery (used in forums).

Battery Charger: There are many different battery charger types available to charge an electronic cigarette. These include standard wall outlet, car and USB chargers. Adapters are available to use an electronic cigarette in the car or to convert chargers for travelling.

Cartomizer: A combination disposable atomizer and cartridge employed by 2-piece electronic cigarettes. This can be refillable and non-refillable.

Cartridge: The cartridge sits within the mouthpiece and contains absorbent material (the wick). This is where flavored liquid containing nicotine is stored. When the liquid is depleted it can either be refilled or replaced with a new pre-filled cartridge.

Carts: Shortened version for cartridge.

Cigar Style: The e-cigar looks similar to a cigar. Thicker around than most other e-cigs, they employ a similar cartridge to the pen-style, with a greater capacity. E-cigars can sometimes hold as much as 1.5mL of e-liquid. There are also disposable e-cigars available, which look extremely similar to an actual cigar with no external mouthpiece.

Condoms:The rubber sleeves that come on the ends of cartomizers

Clearomizer: A clearomizer is a cartridge without the polyfill. It has a wick and a coil but no filler material. 

Cutoff: Some battery models utilize a cutoff mechanism to turn off the battery when it is overused, This protects the atomizer from burning out and the user from inhaling too much nicotine

Drip/Dripping: A method of dripping e-liquid directly onto the atomizer or fill material to refill an electronic cigarette.

Drip Tip: Used to directly drip E-liquid onto the atomizer or into a cartomizer. Remove the white end cap and attach. Preferred by some for comfort as the soft drip tips feel more like a cigarette filter in the mouth. 

Direct Drip: Or “dripping”. The actin of dripping E-Liquid directly onto the atomizer instead of delivering E-Liquid through a cartridge or cartomizer.

Disposable E-Cigarette: A single-use electronic cigarettes designed to throw away when the e-liquid is empty. There are many shapes and sizes of disposable e-cigarettes & e-cigars on the market. These are not refillable.

DIY: Do it yourself homemade e-liquid or modification.

Dry Smoking: A method used in 3-piece electronic cigarette models when the atomizer is flooded with solution or needs to be cleared of residue. May damage the atomizer by overheating it.

Electronic Cigarette: An electronic Cigarette is a battery-powered electronic device that converts a liquid nicotine or non-nicotine solution (e-liquid) into water vapor. Many resemble traditional analog cigarettes in size, shape and color, but they are also manufactured to mimic pens, cigars and pipes. Increasingly, Custom color combinations, styles and modifications are becoming popular.

E-Cigarette, E Cigarette, ECigarette, ECig, E-Cig, Digi-cig, E-Ciggy, Personal Vaporizer –other terms or variations of terms for electronic cigarette.

E-Liquid: The nicotine or non-nicotine solution used in an e-cigarette. This solution usually consists of nicotine dissolved in propylene glycol (PG) and/or vegetable glycerin (VG), natural and artificial flavorings and water. Both PG and VG are common food additives and create vapor at low temperatures. Flavors often imitate well-known cigarette brands, tobacco flavors, menthol, fruit and other flavors. Hundreds of different flavors are available. Nicotine concentrations range from zero to extra-high (0 mg to 54mg). See propylene glycol

Other terms for e-liquid: E Liquid, ELiquid, eLiquid, Juice, E-Juice, Nicotine Fluid, smoke juice

E-Smoke: E-Smoke is a term used for the vapor emitted by an electronic cigarette. “E-smoking“is the action of smoking an electronic cigarette.

Filler: The fiber or wick found inside a cartridge that holds e-liquid.

Manual battery: An electronic cigarette battery which functions only when a button is pressed while inhaling. They typically produce more vapor that an automatic battery.

Comments

• marni_V2cigsmarni_V2cigs Posts: 1,153Member
    edited February 2012

mg: Milligrams. Used to measure the amount of nicotine per milliliter. For example: 

light: 0.6% nicotine, 6 mg of nicotine per 1,000 mg

medium:  1.2% nicotine, 12 mg of nicotine per
    1,000 mg

full: 1.8% nicotine, 18 mg of nicotine per 1,000 mg

Micro Cigarette: 50mm - 99mm in size, a compromise between physical size and liquid capacity/battery life. These generally look quite a bit more like a traditional cigarette, but are still slightly larger. Mini cartridges vary greatly, but usually contain between .5mL to 1mL of e-liquid.

Mini-Cigarette: A small version of an e-cigarette, ranging in size from 116mm - 139mm.

Mod: Short for modification, this is a homemade or purchased design alteration of a manufactured battery, atomizer or cartridge. Mods are generally done and/or used by avid e-smokers looking to increase vapor production, battery life or ease of use.

Mouthpiece: The tip of an electronic cigarette which is placed into the mouth. It often looks like a cigarette butt. This piece houses the cartridge in a 3-piece model. 2-piece models contain the cartridge and the atomizer.

Nicotine Level: The amount of nicotine present in a cartridge or bottle of e-liquid. It is usually measured in mg/ml.

Pass-through (PT): Unlike batteries, the passthrough plugs into a USB port on your computer to allow you to vape without worrying about battery life. They also run at a higher voltage so you often get warmer vapor and increased throat hit from them.

You can also use a PT with a portable USB power supply or a USB power adapter, as long as they are compatible.

PCC: Abbreviation for Portable Charging Case

Pen-Style: A style of electronic cigarette, known for its resemblance to a ball point pen and/or a 1920's to 1950's cigarette holder. These are the first type of electronic cigarette created and range in size from 140mm - 160mm.

Personal Vaporizer: (PV) – another term for an electronic cigarette.

Pipe Style: As the name may suggest, these look just like a pipe. They have big cartridges, but blanks aren't quite as readily available as the rest of the styles. The cartridges hold more than 2mL of e-liquid at a time.

Pooling: I’ve heard 2 versions of this. One is when the liquid pools at the bottom of the cart and does not soak into the filler. The other is when the cart is overfilled and the liquid creates a “pool” on top, causing the electronic cigarette to leak.

Priming: A puffing technique used on automatic batteries to produce the most vapor. This requires taking a deep inhale to "warm up" the atomizer. Once warmed, the battery is primed.

Propylene Glycol (PG):  Propylene Glycol is the most commonly used base carrier for nicotine and flavor solutions for electronic cigarettes. Also commonly used in inhalers, medicines, foods, and other consumer products. Has also been tested an an effective germicide. Propylene Glycol has been deemed generally safe to be used in medical products as well as food products for general consumption. Some people have reported having an allergic reaction to PG. These people also find that they have issues with certain brands of toothpaste, lotions, soaps, and medicines containing PG. If you have issues with PG, it is suggested you look into using a product with a Vegetable Glycerin base. Also see: http://blog.v2cigs.com/2012/01/what-is-propylene-glycol/

Portable Charging Case: A case that allows you to charge your battery on the go, no need for a power source like a computer or wall adapter. Usually can also hold a couple of cartomizers/cartridges.

edited July 2012

PV (Personal Vaporizer): Another term for an electronic cigarette.

Reverse Taryn Spin: Using centrifugal force to remove e-liquid from an open-ended cartomizer. See Taryn Spin

Starter Kits: This is usually where new users begin when they try their first electronic cigarette. A starter kit can contain anything from the basics (battery and charger) to a complete assortment of parts and accessories.

Supermini: (100mm - 115mm)Frequently almost the same size as a traditional cigarette, this hardware has smaller capacity cartridges and batteries. The batteries do, however, charge significantly faster than other types. Supermini cartridges also vary greatly, holding between .2mL and .5mL of e-liquid.

Tank: A container that holds a substantial amount of liquid, generally clear so the amount is visible

Taryn Spin: Using centrifugal force to fill a cartomizer. See Reverse Taryn Spin

Threading: The screw-end of your e-cig battery, where the cartridge attaches. Threading can also refer to the battery "type." "My battery has a 501 threading."

Throat Hit: A descriptive term used for the sensation felt in the back of the throat when an inhalation is taken from an electronic cigarette. A good throat hit closely mimics the feeling from traditional cigarette smoking. Nicotine levels greatly affect throat hit strength with higher nicotine levels having a harder throat hit sensation.

Topping/Topping off: Topping a cartridge with e-liquid.

Vape: The act of inhaling vapor from an electronic cigarette.

Vaping: An alternative word for eSmoking. The habit or pastime of using electronic cigarettes. Many electronic cigarette users call themselves, “Vapors” and participate in ”Vaping” instead of smoking.

Vapor: (vapour): The smoke-like vapor produced from an electronic cigarette when e-liquid is turned from a liquid to a gas by the atomizer. This vapor is a pure food grade version similar to the smoke produced by a fog machine. The most common ingredient is propylene glycol or vegetable glycerin.

Vaporizer: The electronic component which turns e-liquid into a gas or a vapor. This is also another term used for Electronic Cigarette.

Vegetable Glycerin (VG): Vegetable Glycerin is a natural alternative to Propylene Glycol and is sometimes used as the majority base in the E-Liquid. Vegetable Glycerin comes from the production of palm or coconut oils and is suitable to be used in sweeteners and in skin care products. It creates a slightly thicker vapor.

Wick: A poly fiber with the appearance of cotton. Usually a silica thread that soaks up e-liquid to be vaporized by the heating element.

reserved
  • NiiLoCNiiLoC Posts: 119Member
    awesome list!  thx @totally2hemp and marni!
  • Totally2HempTotally2Hemp Posts: 4,398V2 Veteran
    Thanx Marni.... Great update!
  • JackieOJackieO Posts: 10,239Member ✭✭✭
    Marni seems very reserved lately.
  • MomMom Posts: 2,577V2 Veteran

Ohm and mah are two that are tossed out a lot, as well @Marni_V2Cigs.

• VaperellaVaperella Posts: 298Member
    I for one would like to know the origins of the "Reverse Taryn Spin"

Who is Taryn?
    what made it favorable to reverse the Taryn spin?
  • PaksenarionPaksenarion Posts: 1,261Member
    I think we would all like to have a few words with this Taryn person. He/she must be held accountable.
  • mrtmrt Posts: 5,021Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012

·         Taryn spin = centrifugal force, used to fill cartos (condom on battery end). Spin clockwise or anti clockwise it makes no difference.

·         Reverse Taryn spin = turn the carto the opposite way to remove juice (condom on open end to save the juice).

Just like swinging a bucket of water on the end of a rope over your head, remember doing that as a kid?

• SembazuruSembazuru Posts: 406Member
    Great list. In the "MG" listing, my pedantic obsessive compulsiveness requests you to add the the proper capitalization is "mg". Grams are abbreviated as lower-case "g", and milli- is abbreviated as lower-case "m". Upper-case "M" is actually mega-. (Milli- is 1/1000 and mega- is 1,000,000).

Also, if you add milliamp-hours, the proper capitalization for the abbreviation is 'mAh'.

I'll climb off my soap box now. ;-)
  • ZassZass Posts: 659Member
    @Sembazuru, I concur!
  • DaddyCatDaddyCat Posts: 6,786Member ✭✭✭✭
    OCD for the win?
    updated
    very nice marni =D>
  • DuirDuir Posts: 579Member
    Very helpful list! Thanks =) As a side note, I noticed on some forums they abbreviate Throat Hit with 'th' which confused me for quite awhile (I kept thinking, what is this th component they keep talking about??) maybe add that to the list as well. =) 
  • WildSpiritWildSpirit Posts: 90Member

When I smoked cigarettes I was called a smoker.

Now that I use ECigs what am I called?

• devanttriodevanttrio Posts: 1,689Member
    A vaper!! @WildSpirit ;
  • nancyblakenancyblake Posts: 4Member
    edited March 2012
    I also smoke electronic
    cigarette
    and i called my self E Smoker :) 

• RoadRunnerRoadRunner Posts: 688Member
    I usually say I am a vaper. This leaves no question for most people, especially if demonstrated that there is no smoke involved. Just a vapor both with what I inhale and anything that gets exhaled. In AZ they are also not in violation of our state-wide smoking bans in most public places including outdoors.
  • JmanJman Posts: 3,050Member
    I tell people using this is very normal on my home world, and is what we consider, what you earthlings call "food."
  • fifthsymphonyfifthsymphony Posts: 40Member
    edited March 2012

• LovinitLovinit Posts: 1Member
    OK, I'll admit I'm a bit confused.  I told my friend a long tale of breathlessness after an afternoon at the park with my 4 year old granddaughter.  She owns a roll your own shop but also carries the V2.  She has been smoke free with the V2 for 2 weeks now.  I really want to quit smoking altogether so I can see that 4 year old granddaughter graduate and get married (after I run the park with her for the next......years).  On the V2 forums, I see alot of reference to "substituting" and "enjoying vaporizing".  Not to say that everyone MUST quit ANY and ALL forms of smoking but it almost implies that the V2 could be just as addicting.  Now, I only started with the V2 yesterday morning.  I find that a couple puffs every hour or so are enough....satisfying...calming etc.  I know I'm very much a newbie but I generally go through 3 pack of 305 Full Flavor's a day.  I'm ok with the V2 for quitting purposes but again....how addictive could this be??  Hope not, I don't feel like it will be but I guess I'll get back to you later on that one.   
  • GooseGoose Posts: 1,765Member ✭✭
    obviously, nicotine is the addictive substance in tobacco.  E-cigs just provide an alternative way of delivering that nicotine to your body (minus the bad toxins contained in tobacco).  So, as long as you want to stay addicted to nicotine, you will stay addicted to v-cigs.
    edited March 2012

Hi @Lovinit, nicotine is highly addictive, one of the BIG reason it's so hard to quit smoking. E-cigs allow us to still have our smoking like motions and nicotine while removing 99.9% of the harmful chemicals. v2cigs offers lower nicotine cartos and juice to allow us to reduce our  dependence/addiction to nicotine when we choose to.

I think you see so much happiness/enjoyment is because we are finally able to quit smoking those damn cigarettes. Every cigarette not smoked is reason to celebrate. I hope you find many reasons to celebrate with us.

• NiiLoCNiiLoC Posts: 119Member
    well said, @daddycat :)
  • JasonPuffWebJasonPuffWeb Posts: 53Member
    Ha!! So I just signed up and this was an idea I had for a new post. Glad i looked around a little lol. Very well done and def. a good reference for those who are new to e cigs
  • darjeelingteadarjeelingtea Posts: 18Member
    808 vs 510?  I didn't want to ask...but can't help myself.
  • GooseGoose Posts: 1,765Member ✭✭
    edited April 2012
    I believe 808 and 510 have to do with the way the battery is threaded.  i.e., different threads.
  • BrealuBrealu Posts: 86Member

mg: Milligrams. Used to measure the amount of nicotine per milliliter. For example: 

light: 0.6% nicotine, 6 mg of nicotine per 1,000 mg

medium:  1.2% nicotine, 12 mg of nicotine per
    1,000 mg

full: 1.8% nicotine, 18 mg of nicotine per 1,000 mg

Should the 1,000 mg be reads as micrograms or can we just put per 1 mL? Am I missing something?

• MKvaporMKvapor Posts: 196Member
    It would be 6mg per mL, 12mg per mL, 18mg per mL
    Often written 6mg/mL, 12mg/mL, 18mg/mL
  • BrealuBrealu Posts: 86Member
    Was thinking so @MKvapor, thanks for clarifying.

6mg nicotine/1mL juice
    12mg nicotine/1mL juice
    18mg nicotine/1mL juice
  • Formula420Formula420 Posts: 1Member
    very interesting.
  • SallyNSallyN Posts: 3Member
    I'm a newbie and wanted to thank everyone for such great information. I really want to vape instead of smoke (over 35 years) and am on the learning curve - wish me luck.
  • MSmith447MSmith447 Posts: 243Member

Just now seeing this – very helpful! Love all the tips/advice in these forum threads but as a newbie, learning all the lingo is a little much. Thx!

I just shared this with a few friends -- again, very helpful v2! U all rock.
  • AnaBanana22AnaBanana22 Posts: 112Member
    This is the vaping bible for all newbie vapors!!! haha
  • KaluriaKaluria Posts: 21Member
    Thank you for bumping this thread lol. I was looking for it earlier and couldn't find it
    I know @julie_v2cigs wants to get this thread sticky again. I hope she can, it's a great resource.  Untill then you can click on the star at the top right of the first post of this thread and save this to your favorites.
  • KaluriaKaluria Posts: 21Member
    Thanks for the tip @DaddyCat :)
  • AnaBanana22AnaBanana22 Posts: 112Member
    Daddycat knows everything! lol What would this forum do w/o you? :D
    LOL, Daddycat needs to find a job and not spend so much time on the forum. When that happens I know there are many others who will be happy to help. Maybe you'll be one of the people helping the newbies with questions, I would like that.
    U do rock Daddycat! ;-) I love that everyone in this forum is helpful.
  • jukiejukie Posts: 1,492Member ✭✭
    You could get paid to run the forum @ daddycat. That is a great idea!! *-:)
  • amoreamore Posts: 2,194Member ✭✭
    jukie said:
    You could get paid to run the forum @ daddycat. That is a great idea!! *-:)
    That is a great idea :)
    OMG he should soo be the forum manager for v2! haha
  • PB2012PB2012 Posts: 17Member
    New to the forum, just analog free for 2 months thanks to V2. This is very helpful.
  • PB2012PB2012 Posts: 17Member
    And just shared this on the other e cigs forum I found :)
  • SarReeseSarReese Posts: 7Member
    Thank the vape gods for this 1!