18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Clear Cartomizers

MemorymostlyMemorymostly Posts: 19Member
Was browsing around some ecig sites and saw someone mention having clear carts. I was excited at the thought of how neat a clear cart would look while vaping. Anyone used one?? Any chance V2 may be releasing their own?

Comments

• EarthpigEarthpig Posts: 4,754V2 Veteran
    They have been out for some time. Many like them but being plastic, they have a tendency to leak/crack and don't hold up well if abused (and I'm a bit rough on equipment). Also if not kept upright they have issues as well.  Some fluids actually react to the plastics and soften them.
    The V2 808's have batting to hold the fluid from running out, like a sponge holds water. Those have no batting.

So they have some upsides but to me have more downsides than up.
    (of course others have their own opinions) 
  • emelesteemeleste Posts: 5,293V2 Veteran ✭✭
    I tend to agree, @Earthpig.  At first I thought I liked those things...but after while, the leaking, spitting juice in my mouth and the general hassle with rubber taste etc. got on my nerves and I went back to the DR808 cartos with batting in them.  It's working out generally better for me.
  • puppynursepuppynurse Posts: 1,514V2 Veteran
    I also have to agree with earthpig and emeleste I thought I would like them as well but turns out they leak and I always got juice in my mouth I have since found that the dr808 with the batting work best for my situation now that does not mean you should not try them cause they might work for you but for me I was not thrilled.
  • MemorymostlyMemorymostly Posts: 19Member
    Thanks for the input. I think I'll take a pass on them. With leaking and poor taste. . . I just don't see it being worth the hastle.
  • Rule62Rule62 Posts: 3,237V2 Veteran
    I have never used the bottom coil Clearomizers; but I do use CE2s, which have the coils at the top. I love them. But they are not for everybody. They do require some modifying, before the first filling, in order to optimize them. Once modified, the consistency of the draw, the flavor, and the longevity of the carto, surpasses that of poli fill cartos. JMO.
  • hoosierhoosier Posts: 3,358V2 Veteran
    I agree with Rule62, CE2's are great, but do require some fiddlin' to get them just right.  It's worth it if you take the time to do that, but I can see where some would be put off by them.  My only complaint on them was the capacity, I love my 5ml tanks!!!
  • DixieDixie Posts: 6,230V2 Veteran
    I love my CE2s...after months I finally had one new one with an off taste...washed it out good...hasn't been an issue since.  Yep they take a lil fiddling, but I love them.
    There are many varieties.
    The ones I've seen leaked bad. One totally came apart from it's base pouring juice on the individual using it.
    I had to laugh, since he was so arrogant about them (and so many other issues as well). It had hairline cracks all through it.

Now I'm not saying that is common for all models, but some. And I'm sure many have improved since last year.
    And some of the plastics used interacts with some of the juices, breaking em down. 
    The ones I use have a newer type of plastic tube. The wall thickness is greater, and the plastic isn't as brittle. I have yet to see one develop a crack. The wicks are also heavier than the older "bow tie" type. CE2s are still a work in progress; but far improved over the older style. I can see where the tube might come off of the base if it were in a pants pocket, while attached to a battery. I doubt one would come apart if one were in a pocket by itself.
    Mine are always in my coat pocket.
    Like I say, I abuse mine a bit.

I know a guy like that. I sold a bunch of my V2 stuff to a friend a while back. A couple batteries, a bunch of blank cartos, charger, etc. I refill his cartos for him. He does home remodeling work. A couple weeks ago, I popped the cap off one of his cartos, and there was a white, gooey substance on top of the batting. I determined it to be dry wall dust, which had congealed in the space between the mouthpiece and the top of the polifill. I've found others that had dirt inside. He obviously either carries the things around in his pocket, or lays them around where he's working without putting the condoms on. He has trashed one auto battery already. I was thinking about soaking it in everclear and burying it in a bowl of rice to dry it out.
    But then again, I used to smoke pipes, and I've broken more than one expensive pipe in half due to abuse. So, I'm pretty careful with my vaping stuff.
  • nyllatxnyllatx Posts: 295Member
    Can someone PM me the "tweaking instructions" for the CE2 XL clearos? Been using them for a few days now and I am really digging them, but if there's a way to make them even better, I'm all ears. :)
    To me the condoms hold moisture from your lips and can breed bacteria, so I leave them off.
    I know PG is antibacterial, but that doesn't protect the outer surfaces so easily. 
    I might be incorrect in my assumption. It's just a precaution I take.

So they are in my pocket bouncing around and getting things shoved along side of them. There is no dust or other major issues, but my cell phone does rest against them in a sleeve that holds 8 units. 
    They take a beating, but not severe. 
    So to use plastic carto's and getting a soaked cell phone is a no braiiner...I wont .

But again, that's me.

@nyllatx  The modding or "tweaking" of the CE2s consists of stuff like lifting the rubber cup seal (over the ceramic with wick inside) ..up about 1/8 or more inch.  Or removing it completely and putting the O ring in there with the flat side up over the ceramic.  That's the main one.  And using a dental tool to lift the wicks on either side of the ceramic up so the loops are even with the top of the ceramic in the little grooves...supposed to help prevent the spitting/leaking thing.

I used the CE2s quite a bit in December and part of January, but sort of left them behind when I got the Kanger XLs with my vGo.  The CE2s seemed to swell up a bit after they are used (guess that's the breaking down of the plastic by the e-juice factor?) and they wouldn't fit on my vGo with the cone, anymore.  And I had a disaster or two when the tube coming off the base and spilling juice...yuck.  But they have their good points, too.  I'm just too cavalier with my vaping...I lie in bed and vape.  I put the thing down on a table on it's side.  I hold it upside down sometimes without thinking.  Thus I was getting a lot of juice leaking out into my mouth with the CE2.  If I was more careful how I handled my stuff and kept it upright..it'd be fine.  
    @nyllatx sent you a pm
    The mods for CE2s seem to put a lot of people off. But in reality, modding a CE2 isn't something you have to do every time you fill or use it. It gets modded before the first fill, and that's it. I can prepare a CE2 for vaping in less than a minute. The easiest, most basic mod is to remove the neoprene ring and the cup seal. Throw the cup seal away, fill the carto with juice,  and reinstall the middle ring upside down. Flat side up toward the mouthpiece, seating the ring snuggly against the ceramic cup. Put in a drip tip, and it's ready to go.
  • DennisRichardsDennisRichards Posts: 2,361V2 Veteran ✭✭
    My problem is the cup seal i guess, has anyone got a good way to get those out cause mine are really glued in there, I've broken all but one and with rule making sound so easy I pulled it out to give it a try, nope, I'ma break it if I keep manhandling it like this. Does anyone know a good way to get that seal out?
    Cool, thanks Kim. I actually think I have one of those laying around somewheres. I really would like to try Em out. Been holding on to this last one for months.
  • kstraub7707kstraub7707 Posts: 1,891V2 Veteran
    i was extremely aggravated with them until i was directed to that dental pick.  now, i use them almost exclusively! (except for my V2 prefills!)
  • AbsintheurAbsintheur Posts: 6,429V2 Veteran ✭✭
    I tried 3 different brands...all of them leaked...not sure I would want to try any more.
    With all the tools my leatherman has u would figure it would have a dental pick, someone needs to make a leatherman for vapors.
    edited February 2012
    You can get the dental pics really cheap...just a couple of dollars...at CVS or Harbor Freight.  They sure do come in handy!  

I keep one in my V2 case all the time (you can see it there) and the extras go in my "v-purse".

(my head hurts looking at this)

@DennisRichards The ceramic cup beneath the cup seal has slots in it, which the wicks sit in. When you remove the cup seal, the idea is to hook the dental pick in the slots, above the wicks and coil. You will feel the end of the pick when it finds the slot. When you've done so, pull up, and the cup seal will come out. If you try to hook the cup seal in some place other than where the slots are, you may break the ceramic cup. Once you've done one, it becomes very easy.
    Cool, thanks. As soon as I find that dental pick all should go smoother, I wasn't hooking it in the right place, I was just tearing at that mug to get it out. Thanks for the heads up.
    Dental picks are the usual tool of choice. Even if you tear up the cup seal, it's no big deal, because you aren't going to put it back in anyway. It get's tossed. The important thing is not to damage the coil or the ceramic cup.
    I was damaging both before, that or I didn't mess with it at all and didn't like the taste or vapor production. I really wanna give them a chance.. Now I know the right way so now I can find out if these suckers leak and are worth the hassle.
    I am gonna study the heck out of this thread tonight and give this a go this weekend! :) Woo!
    @nyllatx I will send you that info tonight as promised ;;)
    That's because you're a darling dear, Miss @Dixie! :-*
    :\"> aww shucks
    If I needed to go through all these headaches, I wouldn't bother.

Less than one minute. Plus, you don't have to wait 10 minutes for the juice to soak into the polifill.
    I love my CE2s.  Once I got the hang of it I can clean and fill then in under an hour...like 10 of them at a time...and topping them off takes me a minute maybe
    10 in an hour must be a hobby. To me my time is worth more. @ $50.oo an hour, it is $5.00 ea. + materials .
    It's why when I smoke, I don't roll my own.
    No , everything isn't quantified by an hourly wage, but it is also time diverted in life to the tedious....or hobby..

Yeah I would guess its a hobby...i enjoy it...My time my thing ...don't mess with momma when shes making coffee or cleaning carts lol
    Yep, it's a hobby. I spend lots of time fooling with this stuff. Making juice, testing flavors, cleaning cartos, trying to create recipes, etc. Usually while I'm sitting in the cave, watching tv. I enjoy it.
    I enjoy it all too! I like what I like...and want what I want. I fill my carts...about 6 to 10 every other day. Takes 10 to 15 minutes... and it's fun, and satisfying...and works good!
    I need another hobby.  I haven't spent this much time online since I was on AOL about 10 years ago.  I think wifey is starting to wonder what the hell I'm doing every night on the computer.
    I know, I feel the same way. I'm never on Facebook or anything else like that. I hate typing( and I do all this from my phone) I just love the world of vaping and this forum is the best( got some great people on here too) I don't think I want another hobby, this one is time consuming enough.
    I will be making my large soft case this weekend come hell or high water!!  2 hobbies combined lol
    My other hobby, motorcycle, is sitting in the garage.  I tried to turn the motor over today since it was relatively warm, for winter anyhow, battery was dead.  Wonder if V2 will replace it :)
    It depends, u haven't used all 5 returns have u? :D
    Nope, only 1 so far, and that was a passthrough.
    I'd say call CS in the morning, it wouldn't surprise me if they took care of it for u. I'd go with an auto battery just cause I think it would suck having to reach down and push a button the whole time your riding your bike. :))
    That would be difficult.  Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure Marni will take care of it.
    Do you wire the e-cig batteries in series or parallel, to get 12v ?
    Rode bikes for 42 years, and still have the endorsement on my license. My reflexes are not as fast as the speed I like to ride, so I decided to quit riding...worst and best decision of my motoring life. 100mph was my favorite speed on em. Had a BMW K100 as my last bike.

Now I mess with muscle and sports cars.

Can't handle tedious hobbies. I do enough of that in my daily job to want to continue after hours.

To each his own, I guess. I worked on my cars for years, from when I was a kid. Now I wouldn't even change my own oil, for what it costs at a quick change place.
    I generally don't either. Oil and filter costs are near the total at a (good) oil change place. I've had bad ones mess things up, though. Gotta watch em.

What I don't appreciate is $70.oo hr. shop labor and overcharge on parts at indie shops, and dealerships at $100+.oo hr and parts at 25% more being oem. I'll pull out  a wrench, thanks, unless it is something over my head. The electrics are a nightmare these days.
    Just got an Audi Quattro for my son, and realized it was due for a timing belt. $1200 quoted. Ain't a Happenin! It was over my head.
    The part was $25.oo and we sprung for a waterpump as long as we were there for another $50.oo. A friend w/ Audi experience offered to do the labor for $250.oo. 

It comes down to a Love of Cars, but also a financial sense and having the ability.