WARNING: This product contains nicotine.
Nicotine is an addictive chemical.
18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.
Members and Visitors: We've updated our forum category names to help you easily navigate discussions topics. Categories are still in the same order on the homepage, just with different names! Message me with any questions. - Samantha
Interested in joining the conversation? CLICK HERE to become a forum member now!

I have been wondering about this...

suzieQsuzieQ Posts: 438Member ✭✭
edited February 2012 in Entertainment and Humor

Use of Electronic Cigarettes (e-cigs) not allowed on US flights?

Michael Felberbaum, AP Tobacco Writer, On Friday February 11, 2011, 10:35 am EST RICHMOND, Va. (AP)

Transportation Dept: Use of electronic cigarettes prohibited on commercial airline flights 

The U.S. Department of Transportation says the use of smokeless electronic cigarettes on airplanes is prohibited and plans to issue an official ban this spring, according to a letter from Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood obtained by The Associated Press. In the letter to Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey, LaHood said the department has been informing airlines and the public that it interprets smoking regulations to include e-cigarettes. Lautenberg, who wrote the 1987 law that banned smoking on airplanes, had asked transportation officials to clarify the rule. E-cigarettes are plastic and metal devices that heat..

I find this awfully depressing since I have alot of flights in my future.

Best Answer

• possumpossum Posts: 536Member
    Accepted Answer

Just another reason for me to hate to fly.

Answers

• suzieQsuzieQ Posts: 438Member ✭✭
  • DewManDewMan Posts: 1,208Member

I would never condone doing anything illegal especially on a plane, where they take everything very seriously, But, I can see E-Cig smokers sneaking puffs in the lavatories if their in-flight use were/are(?) banned. Since I don't see how the water vaper would set off any smoke detectors or anything.

I used to do a lot of air travel for work. Luckily my duties no longer require it. The airlines have made flying so frustrating these days I'd rather drive 1,000 miles before I'd get on a plane anymore. and Yes I do an 1,100 mile (one way) drive annually to to visit relatives. I drive it straight through and it's still a more pleasant experience than flying the same distance. 

• andrewjrandrewjr Posts: 547Member
    So my question is, is it ok to take it with you through security or will they confiscate my stuff?  I am flying in a couple months and checked on the airlines website and the list of banned items and couldn't find anything about them.  I certainly dont want to lose my stuff but would like to carry them with me...
  • visionary333visionary333 Posts: 1,446Member
    I highly doubt that security will take them away. You don't see them confiscating cigarettes. A lot of folks have said that they had no problems with carrying them on the plane.
  • RoadRunnerRoadRunner Posts: 688Member
    @Dewman I agree with you. It's only one more reason I don't fly anymore. And I do the same 1100 mile trip to see family once or twice a year. My Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Megacab also has an 110 gallon tank and gets 24mpg on the highway. Makes for a looong way to the next gas station!
    Wow thats crazy RR My Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't get that good of mileage!
  • suzieQsuzieQ Posts: 438Member ✭✭
    @andrew I have read a ton of articles on the web and blogs on the airline issue as I do fly quite frequently during March thru September.  Most people have no issues getting them on board.  Some have sadly had theirs taken from security.  I believe it probably depends on the security line you happen on to.  I have seen absolutely no mention on ban to carry on board.  Most airlines I have talked to don't even know the rules, it is not in there manual so they have nothing to let them know what the answers is.

Mine are going in a hard case cigarette pack holder which will be in my purse where I would carry my analogs if I was still using them.  I will also carefully pack most of my things in my carry on.  I will be placing them in a container along with a note explaining what it is.  I see customs maybe being an issue.  I am trying to get information on the legality of ecigs in Jamaica.  My only foreign travel this year.

Since I know they are banned on flights I will not risk the lavetory idea, even tho there are tons of blogs from ecig users that use that method, I just wont risk it though.  I do respect the law, even though I disagree with alot of them.
  • DewManDewMan Posts: 1,208Member

@RoadRunner ; Nice truck! I don't have a big Ram like that but wish I did.... But I do get to drive my 5th gen 2LT RS Camaro that gets 27mpg (its only doing 2g on the tach at 75mph) on the highway. but I need to stop more often since I don't have a tank near as large as yours. I don't think my bladder would last through 110 gallons. LOL :-)

Sorry for the Hijack.

If I am by myself I do Phoenix to Austin maybe with 2 stops. About a year ago I did Phoenix AZ to Orlando on 1 tank. Phoenix to Austin is about 1/2 tank.
  • PaksenarionPaksenarion Posts: 1,261Member
    @andrewjr Jeep from experience working/wrenching at a dealership sucks. Always having problems. More lemons came through my bay than any of the Dodge, Chrysler, or Kia's we serviced
    lol go figure!  I just had to replace wheel bearings on 2 and a pinion gear up front.  Mine has full time 4WD so I think that makes the mileage and wear even worse.
  • PaksenarionPaksenarion Posts: 1,261Member
    Yeah it does
  • hoosierhoosier Posts: 3,358V2 Veteran

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

lol u drive one too @hoosier?

• hoosierhoosier Posts: 3,358V2 Veteran
    We have 4 in the family.  Love them.  Yes, mileage is horrendous, but they are a blast in winter.
    Had an 85 Grand Wagoneer with a 360 in it. Go through or over anything while pulling a house. Got 8 mpg no matter what you were doing or where you were. Sold it to a friend and helped him rebuild the engine and got 9.5 mpg. It was unstoppable. I even used it to pull tree stumps a couple times.