18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.
Members and Visitors: We've updated our forum category names to help you easily navigate discussions topics. Categories are still in the same order on the homepage, just with different names! Message me with any questions. - Samantha
Interested in joining the conversation? CLICK HERE to become a forum member now!

What's benefit of dual coils?

dac311dac311 Posts: 414Member ✭✭
Is it that you can lower the resistance to have higher vapeing wattages? Or does it produce more vapor? Or does it more evenly burn through the cart?

Comments

• Rule62Rule62 Posts: 3,237V2 Veteran
    I may be in a minority, but I don't think there is an advantage to them. They deplete the battery faster, go through juice faster, are useless on cig type batteries, and can be harmful to equipment on unprotected variable voltage devices.
  • AbsintheurAbsintheur Posts: 6,429V2 Veteran ✭✭
    The idea is two coils will produce more vapor than one coil in a shorter time and as far as that goes it is true. However you have the trade off Rule pointed out...dual coils drain batteries much faster. I use both but more and more find myself leaning towards single coil cartomizers. A little longer drag doesn't bother me and in some cases actually works better.

Juice has to follow the laws of gravity as do most thing and most single coil cartomizers have the coil in the bottom (Stardust and copies are an exception, not the rule) and that is where juice tends to pool. The top coil in a dual coil carto may not always be sufficiently wet for good performance, especially in heavy vaping. In tanks I have gone to single coil Boges double punched.

There are a couple dual coil exceptions...dual coil atomizers (not cartomizers) work extremely well for dripping if you are running at least a 650 mAh battery for example.
  • emelesteemeleste Posts: 5,293V2 Veteran ✭✭
    edited June 2012
    I don't know the technicals like @Absintheur or @Rule62  but I do know what my experience with dual coils has been.  I initially really liked them because they really do seem to kick out an awful lot of vapor.  But the downside is how fast they can wear down a battery charge.  Also..they warm the vape.  For some people that might be a "plus" but not for me.  I am a menthol vaper and want my vapor COOL...not warm!  I didn't think it bothered me the first couple of months I used them, but it does bother me now.  It's okay.  But it detracts from my enjoyment.  

Mostly now I like single coil cartomizers. Kangers or Boge....whichever needed for the equipment I'm using at a given time.  My juice tastes great in them, they are easy and don't need "fiddling" to use, they are clean and don't leak...and I don't seem to burn through juice and batteries anywhere near as fast as I was with dual coils!   The more I learn...the more I go back to what worked in the first place!  
    I think the dual coil attys work so well because the coils are stacked right on top of each other and they have a fairly long barrel to help keep tings cool. They are a 510 btw, not a 306.
    I just don't see any advantage of a dual coil over a single coil fillerless carto of the proper resistance for your set up. Want a cooler vape, use bottom coils. Warmer vape, use top coils.
  • EarthpigEarthpig Posts: 4,754V2 Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I've tested em on cig sized batteries for an article I was going to put together. You can get them at 2 ohm and lower. I ran 1.6 ohm and 2ohm for my testing. They make lower yet.
    First thing I will say is """DON'T !!"""
    The purpose for my testing was 2 fold. To (1) see how battery life would be effected, and (2) rate the dualllies against 5 other carto's.

You can kill a 180-220mah battery in 2 weeks and you are technically overdriving them, to the point some will claim they can get hot and explode (I don't buy that part and they don't heat up.).

They work wonderfully when they work. The failure rate is like 2 in 5, using Smok Tek brand, which was the founder to duallies. This is not just my finding, but also the comments of other users. Biggest issues were burning them out of the gate, and burning them early in life, due to running the fluids lower than the top coil.
    Vapor was quite nice, but the thing I noticed is a good quality 2ohm single coil carto would keep up with them. Flavor was good and unique. Fluid capacity was high at 70 drops (or over 3ml) but considering they needed topped up well before they get 1/2 down, to protect the top coil means that doesn't matter.

But DON'T use em on cig sized batteries.

• GenLeeGenLee Posts: 94Member
    I'm using the pre-punched 1.5ohm ST DC's/tank combo's on big batts, 900 mah or higher (e-Go T's and C's), and I love them.  Easily get all day vaping from them and they crank out the vapor.  They do seem to go through juice somewhat faster but haven't had any problems with battery life with what I am using.  I've only had 1 DOA so far out of maybe 50 cartos. 
  • bookbabebookbabe Posts: 57Member ✭✭
    I am using a competitor's ego 900 mah battery with their 1.5 ohm dual coil mega cart and their 6ml tanks with the 1.5 ohm dual coil cart and it is the only thing that makes the vapid watery v2 menthol juice taste almost like it used to.  The batteries last me a full 12 hours of constant vaping without any degradation in taste like with the stick batteries.  I used to go thru sometimes 4 xl stick batteries a day because I tended to hot box them so I'd alternate 2 batts at all times.  Yes it does use more juice but I find after I fill a new mega cart, I just need to top off with a dropperful about every 3-4 hours.  I haven't burnt up a cart yet and i've been using the same one going on 3 weeks.  I find the vapor production about the same and there is more of a warmness to it.   I've been smoke free for 15 months and keep asking myself why I didn't move to the big batteries and mega carts and tanks sooner.
    The point is you need all that battery to do what a standard 200mah battery with a 2.2ohm single coil will deliver. The juice over usage means you are vaping more than maybe you should?
    Average juice usage "by national poll" is 2ml a day. More is just like smoking more cigs as a comparison.
    Is that what you want? More nic?

Your choice.

• joyfulriverajoyfulrivera Posts: 1,410Member
    I burn through my juice fast enough and get enough vapor w/single coils, I have no desire to even try a dct...but we all like different things...its crazy watching new technology grow...once something new comes out it seems to evolve at such a rapid pace!
    Point is to emulate cigarettes, not to overflow your system with more nic and inhalants to overcome what cigs did/do to you.

But everyone has their addictions to sort out.

• joyfulriverajoyfulrivera Posts: 1,410Member
    I'm pretty sure I go through more than 2ml of juice a day! that seems awfully low...and I didn't smoke many analogs when I switched...before I had kids I had a pack a day, maybe a little more, habit. I quit when I became pregnant w/my 1st child and didn't smoke for 5 1/2yrs...then like a dumb fool I picked it back up. I never smoked in front of my kids so I was only smoking 3-7 cigs a day...but with vaping I can do it in the house and I don't feel bad vaping in front of my kids. They understand that it is better for you, and it doesn't bother them so most likely I am vaping way more than I was smoking...but I enjoy it, its so much cheaper even with vaping more than I smoked, and much better for my health....so I shall continue to enjoy! I just wish they had thought of these sooner....its a hundred times more enjoyable than cigs and I loved to smoke...and my nerves need the nic!!!  ~X(
  • bookbabebookbabe Posts: 57Member ✭✭
    Appreciate the input @earthpig, but i've been checking b/p and pulse and both are the same as I was concerned with that.    I'm also alternating between 12 and 6 mg juice. For me it's all about the flavor and the dual coils give me that.  When I was using the stick batteries I was going thru 4-6 carts of 18mg a day, so i think this evens out for me.  I agree tho, it may not be for everyone.
    I know I go through a lot more than 2 mls a day...lol...much, much more...
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 206Member
    I'm sure I do to.I'm what you might call a "heavy vaper".
    Dual coils though...meh.If I want a warmer vape with my KGO,I will go from my Boge low resistance carts,which are 2.0 ohms to a smoktech 1.7 ohm cart.
    I have some dual coil tanks.I'm not a fan.My next plan was to do exactly what Abs said,boge single coils in tanks.I was blasting through juice in a DCT in record amounts of time.The way I vape I could use more efficiency,lol.
    Then you gotta watch what you are doing. It makes little sense to substitute one habit with another and more of the nicotine content that has you hooked in the first place.
    If you are using (say) 6mg, then you have balanced it out, That I get.

My aversion to dual coils is simply that they aren't as efficient as single coils. If you're using more juice in less time, meanwhile draining batteries faster, and stressing equipment, in order to achieve the same effect, it doesn't make sense to me.
  • emelesteemeleste Posts: 5,293V2 Veteran ✭✭
    My aversion to dual coils is simply that they aren't as efficient as single coils. If you're using more juice in less time, meanwhile draining batteries faster, and stressing equipment, in order to achieve the same effect, it doesn't make sense to me.
    That's pretty much the same conclusion I came to, @Rule62 .  There was an appeal at first...but it didn't take long for me to figure out that the trade off wasn't really worth it.  I still have numerous dual coil cartomizers and some DCTs around.  And I will likely use them some now and again.  But now I see them as a side road, and not the main path of my vaping journey.  
  • dac311dac311 Posts: 414Member ✭✭
    Well I think I'll stay away. Basically what everyone has said is what I thought the answer would be. Thanks for the input.
  • DizzyDizzy Posts: 206Member
    @Rule62 and @emeleste,yep,that is same thing I came up with.I only tried dual coils just to see what all the hype was about.For me that's all it was,hype.Was not impressed or saw the sense in it at all.
    Now if you want to run up around 5.5-6 volts duals will make big vapor but I think most juices start tasting burnt at the high a voltage.
    If you are after more vapor which is  fluid consumption, there are 2 basic options .
    Cut the ohms or up the voltage. 
    (also VG will kick up the vapor)

A 808 od 510 can keep up with a I-go or E-go by a ohm drop. I run clouds like a cigar with a 808/510