18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

A Discussion on Exploding ECigs Turned to This

shadowsxckshadowsxck Posts: 206Member
A comment during conversation about how dangerous e cigs can be due to exploding in the mouth led me to remark about exploding electric toothbrushes. A lot of people have them and swear by them... I swear by my PV... but e-toothbrush users beware.

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/156864/colgate-recalls-toothbrush-that-explodes-in-your-mouth/

Comments

• EarthpigEarthpig Posts: 4,754V2 Veteran
    Battery driven devices has bad tendencies. Even the Chev Volt was having issues, and there was a lot of research in it before it's release (yet a insane car for the price)
    I nearly had a laptop battery go on me, The thing swelled up to over 3/8" thicker than original. Freaked Apple out and they gave me a free battery, so they could send the old one in for research.
    I've yet to see a legit e-cig battery detonate and I've pushed em very hard for my testing I was writing about. 
    Mods? That's a different thing.

• kitcatrnkitcatrn Posts: 12Member
    It was shown that this guy messed with his battery to increase the volts LOL Don't mess with them!
  • TAP352TAP352 Posts: 953Member
    I've said this before and I will say it again. There are probably a million people who vape (?) One guy has a battery blow up in his face. That is a really good ratio IMO. 
  • shadowsxckshadowsxck Posts: 206Member
    Exactly. A coworker thought he would warn me about pvs blowing up, so I warned him about his electric toothbrush.
    Cases are isolated, but I think I have a better chance of blue ice falling through my roof than my v2 or vGo blowing up in my face.
  • NinjaCoderNinjaCoder Posts: 22Member
    As and RC hobbyist of 20 years or so, I am intensely familiar with batteries and their charging. I am presuming e-cigs are probably lipo technology, which is normally fine but things do go wrong, even in normal use. Lipos do have a lower tolerance to incorrect charging of any kind.

Most of you will remember (or can find) law suits relating to cell phones exploding during use, burning the side of the face or ears. - same deal. Lipos will burn at up to 1000 degrees F, this is a big deal.

The uniform fact about batteries about to go bad: there will always be some kind of warning. Look for it.

For RC batteries, an audible hissing or popping sound can be observed, the battery will swell, and it's time to get that thing off the charger and in a neutral location.

In the context of these tiny batteries, you may not get audible warnings, but any unusual heat emitted from the body of the cig will be a sure indicator its time may have come - replace it. I've noticed heating of the cartridge, this is normal, but the body should never warm up, even during charging.

• dac311dac311 Posts: 414Member ✭✭
    A friend of mine had the "head" of his x2 break off last night. He did something and the thing started heating up and smoking. He threw it in the nearest dumpster. Maybe wasn't the proper thing to do, but it was somewhere it wouldn't harm anyone if it blew up!
  • NinjaCoderNinjaCoder Posts: 22Member
    That's about as safe an action as any you could take. They're **supposed** to be disposed of properly as they contain toxic heavy metals, but the important thing is to neutralize the potential for immediate combustion safety. It will smoke for a while and neutralize.