18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Making friends with the FDA

kdoddskdodds Posts: 2,571Member ✭✭
Was thinking about e-liquid chemistry regarding flavors and started pondering some other things.  Like wouldn't the best inroad to FDA acceptance be an industry crossover into true pharmaceuticals.  Not as a provider of medicinals, per se, but as a vehicle, a delivery system, for current and to be realized products, like asthma inhalers, COPD inhalers (great inroads there for smokers with COPD/emphysema), etc.  For instance, kids have a lot of problems with pump inhalers.  So do a lot of adults for that matter.  Further thinking, and please don't assume anything, I'm staunchly anti-drugs/legalization, medicinal marijuana delivery.  The cartridge system is a much cleaner and more palatable delivery system for the FDA/pharmaceuticals industry.  Isolate THC, PG base, voila, instant chemotherapy relief without worrying about marijuana distribution, legalization, etc.  It seems to me that a little investment by the e-cig industry into such products, R&D, and studies would greatly enhance the legitimacy of e-cigs as a valid treatment/product rather than the traded addiction, and worse, "gateway" drug, that many are reputing e-cigs to be.

Comments

• Jcris25Jcris25 Posts: 60Member

FDA involvment would be worst case scenario. You never want government involvment in daily lifes.

• CynsonyaCynsonya Posts: 5,367Member
    They are already involved @Jcris25. We are currently waiting to hear their proposed regulations. Should find out this month.
  • kdoddskdodds Posts: 2,571Member ✭✭
    Agreed, but the idea would be to "prove" your cause to a "friend" rather than an enemy.  If your delivery mechanism is already in use by pharmaceuticals, and the pharm comps agree that PG delivered nicotine is NOT a "drug" they want to pursue, that's more than half the battle.  Especially when you can get pharm companies behind you that can point out, from an acknowledged and respected position, that pharm grade nico is no more tobacco than aspirin is a willow tree, thus beyond ATF control and no more than an already available (gum, patch, lozenge) OTC product.
  • AbsintheurAbsintheur Posts: 6,429V2 Veteran ✭✭
    That battle was already fought and won by CASAA http://casaa.org/ when the FDA tried to declare e-cigs to be drug delivery devices in an attempt to ban them. The only way the government will leave us alone is when they can tax us and make money off of vapers.

Nicotine will end up being the main regulated component, everything else is virtually impossible to control...gonna ban flashlights? Food flavoring?
    Hmm... interesting... also just read a Harvard paper on the topic.  Seems it's in the better interest of the e-cig industry, given current NDP regulation, to stay AWAY from the FDA, as far as possible from the FDA.  It's really pitiful that the most successful means of quitting (informal, personal experience and experiences of friends/acquaintances) is coming under fire as it is.  All I can say is that if vaping became a pharmacy product, cost would triple, at least, making it, for me, far cheaper to smoke.  It would also eliminate a lot of the palatable liquid market and likely leave mostly unpalatable choices.  The Harvard paper actually made a major point on this, and it would probably hold true for me.  FDA involvement would likely just start me smoking again. 
  • CynsonyaCynsonya Posts: 5,367Member
    That's why a lot of us are so concerned.
    There would probably still be ways around.  For instance, 0 nic carts and juices.  And concentrated nic juice as separate entities.
  • samanthasamantha Posts: 3,061Administrator, Moderator admin
    Hi, @kdodds, would love if you share the Harvard paper you are referring to. :) 

• Navy20Navy20 Posts: 1,070Member ✭✭
    I find it amazing, that a product such as e-cigs brings about so much scrutiny, yet, the FDA approves all kinds of crap that may help this or that
    but when you read the side effects, can possibly be quite harmful.
    Is the bottom line here to keep the product away from those who are not of legal age to smoke, believing that
    e-cigs will lead them to true tobacco products? Are they serious?
    I would think the Federal Government has better things to do with the tax payers money. If kids are getting these products unlawfully, it should be the the local or state authorities to enforce, not the Federal Government.
  • hal10hal10 Posts: 6Member
    edited December 2013
    I find it amazing, that a product such as e-cigs brings about so much scrutiny, yet, the FDA approves all kinds of crap that may help this or that but when you read the side effects, can possibly be quite harmful. Is the bottom line here to keep the product away from those who are not of legal age to smoke, believing that e-cigs will lead them to true tobacco products? Are they serious? I would think the Federal Government has better things to do with the tax payers money. If kids are getting these products unlawfully, it should be the the local or state authorities to enforce, not the Federal Government.

I agree. The FDA should keep there fat fingers out of it. The only thing I don't support is the current way people are carded for the purchase of nicotine products. I've been carded at a Vape shop...but other than that; I've just been asked my age. It's kinda concerning because you can easily purchase a prepaid debit and buy this stuff online. Even though e-cigs aren't nearly as dangerous as regular cigs, you shouldn't be making life choices with addictive substances unless your 18+. But, that should fall under state and local enforcement. As a gateway drug; No. No way. Smoking a cigarette since my switch is disgusting (And I've just started vaping a couple weeks ago). Yet, the media portrays it as dangerous. Well, cigarettes are dangerous too. Far more dangerous. I have yet to see from the media stating they are safer than cigarettes.

I think people need to keep fighting big government until larger studies are made. Hopefully they will back down. Because we all know what the results of these studies are going to be.