18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

DIY for the Zombie Apocolypse

Comments

• DaddyCatDaddyCat Posts: 6,786Member ✭✭✭✭
    I watched the video, it's not something I'm eager to try but assuming they don't put the chemicals in pipe tobacco that are in cigarettes I guess it would be better than smoking (if there were no other options).  jeeeeeeze that liquid was dark!
  • kdoddskdodds Posts: 2,571Member ✭✭
    Umm... if it comes down to an eliquid apocalypse, don't you think the supplies would also be equally as scarce?  For me, this is more a WTH, WHY?  If things got THAT bad, that I had to resort to looting WalMarts for VG and Pipe Tobacco, I think I'd just grab a pipe and smoke the tobacco. 
  • CynsonyaCynsonya Posts: 5,367Member
    Believe it or not a lot of people are already doing this or using cigar tobacco. I am a memeber of a number of diy fb groups and I see these methods mentioned quite frequently. As I do not enjoy tobacco vapes, I can't see myself doing it. But hey, never say never I guess.
  • MatthewCMatthewC Posts: 1,129Member ✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Ok...#1...why wouldn't I be able to get my vapin' supplies if aliens probed me????
    AND...#2...DUDE, FYI...If zombies attacked?!?!?!...I'M SMOKING A CIGARETTE...JUST SAYIN'...zombies eat your brain...SMOKE'M IF YA GOT EM'!!!!
    =)) =))
    I am getting myself down to 0 nicotine, so if there were an FDA ban I would be ok with NOT vaping...BUT REALLY?!?...zombies?!?...cigarretes?!?!?!?...one problem at a time, skippy!!!! =)) =))
    edited July 2013
    True enough @MatthewC but it wouldn't be only a Zombie Apocalypse or aliens that could screw up internet sales.
  • DrewskyDrewsky Posts: 1,947Member ✭✭
    I just thought this was funny. I wouldn't do it myself, but it never even occurred to me that people would do this. When the zombies take over, I'm breaking into the pharmacies and getting something better than vapes. When they eat my brains I don't want to feel it.

Well, in all fairness @DaddyCat, it would be mindless, cannibalistic, slow, shuffling, beasts.  Not much difference between the FDA and zombies.

Some other problems I see are:

How much nicotine is being extracted?  You can get ~1mg on average out of a single cigarette, but the tobacco itself has much more nicotine than that.  Is it safe, considering nicotine CAN be deadly?  If you're extracting nicotine, what else are you extracting?  The assumption has to be that all or most of the compounds will be extracted unless they're VG-phobic.  What then is the difference between vaping and smoking?  Is there any?  Whether there is or not, how does the second hand vapor effect others?  Are they going to be exposed to carcinogens?

edited July 2013
    @Drewsky, it is funny and as the zombies say "food for thought" (or food from thought?).
    @Tianara you are funny. I'm trying to imagine which victim from ZombieLand you would be.

@kdodds true enough  re the Feds mucking about in our business.
    I too would like to know how much nicotine is extracted from steeping in VG/PG. The reviewer said he did not feel much but as we know vaping introduces nicotine much slower than smoking.
    As for dangers from that steeped diy tobacco I'm thinking there would be zero danger from second hand vapor because there's no combustion to create/release any (or few) carcinogens. That said chewing tobacco can cause mouth cancer so I would worry about heavy usage of the home made juice as described in the video.
  • DrewskyDrewsky Posts: 1,947Member ✭✭
    Tianara said:
    When zombies attack I can guarantee I'll be the first to go.  I would be that stupid person you all yell at on tv and in your video games who runs around screaming hysterically and not getting the hell out of the way.  I'll probably cause at least 3 deaths on my way out. 

That's just how I roll.   :))
    They're coming to get you, @Tianara!
  • Crystalplus2Crystalplus2 Posts: 890Member ✭✭
    When the zombies come I'm moving to an island in the middle of a good size lake. I don't think they'll be coordinated enough to swim or maneuver a boat.
  • CynsonyaCynsonya Posts: 5,367Member
    Tianara said:

When zombies attack I can guarantee I'll be the first to go.  I would be that stupid person you all yell at on tv and in your video games who runs around screaming hysterically and not getting the hell out of the way.  I'll probably cause at least 3 deaths on my way out. 

That's just how I roll.   :))
    Lmaooooo

=)) =)) =)) =))
    =)) I'll remember to stay clear of you. I'll be out on my booby trapped island armed with shot guns and bows and arrows, oh and a few crossbows.
    Me too, @Crystalplus2. Except I'd go for remote woods within 50 miles of what used to be civilization. I'd just moat the place.
    During this last season of Walking Dead I had a dream I was living on an island and I saw some zombies drift by on a pontoon and of course the song "Pontoon" cued and I woke up laughing.
    Little Big Town's Pontoon? I had never heard it before. Nice song, fun video. Pretty funny to imagine zombies partying on a pontoon boat.
  • trick2681trick2681 Posts: 131Member ✭✭
    Lol. Didn't think I'd stumble onto a thread like this on an electric cigarette site. With the lifetime of these batteries I think we'd be screwed anyway. Maybe a hand crank battery, like those hand crank radios lol. I am sort of a prepper and survivalist. Not for zombies, but for whatever goes wrong. I live in south louisiana, and run into situations regularly due to hurricanes when we can't get any kind of help for up to 2 weeks and longer at a time. Cut off by flood waters. I'm also an avid firearms and knife collector. I also keep a stock of tobacco seeds stored away. Would be interesting to see if it were possible to self extract nicotine from tobacco, but, unless you are a chemist, not being able to figure out the nicotine content of what you extracted could prove dangerous. Think it would be safer just to smoke the tobacco.
    @trick2681 they make some real nice solar battery chargers now. If the power were to go out for an extended period one of those would be real nice for your PV and phone/tablet.
  • trick2681trick2681 Posts: 131Member ✭✭
    Would be a consideration @DaddyCat. I have 3 generators, a good stock of batteries, inverters, wiring, battery trays, and such to convert 12v to 110, or simply use 12 volt chargers. Plus I keep 80 gallons of gasoline on hand during hurricane season. My comment was more related to the whole zombie Apocalypse topic, and how after 3-6 months your batteries would no longer take charges, and you'd have to look for alternative methods, even if you were able to make a liquid to use.
    500 lbs of potatoes would let you vape...... not very portable though.  :p
    http://latteier.com/potato/
  • vpdavidvpdavid Posts: 2Member
    trick2681, if battery fails you have many options but this is not a problem. We are discussing something different.
  • vpdavidvpdavid Posts: 2Member
    edited September 19
    http://inverterreview.com/ may also be relevant here.