18+ to purchase
V2 is designed with you in mind. V2 is the leading e-cigarette brand, delivering genuine satisfaction with authentic flavors and unparalleled performance.
Vapor Couture Collection Vapor Couture is the original e-cigarette for women, inspiring an entire line of fashionable accessories.
V2 PRO V2 PRO is the world’s most advanced line of vaporizers, representing the ultimate in form and function.

Best cleaning ever of ex blanks

fistyfisty Posts: 254Member
edited September 2014 in Product Q&A and Problems
Ok ok so yeah, clean the wicks if ya gonna use different flavors. Vodka shaking (watch the o ring). Then
1.shot glass vodka
2. 3 ml syringe
3. 1 18 gauge needle

Simply hold the blank upside down and blast the shot glass of vodka thru the center hole. Takes 4 or 5 fills of the syringe. Cleans the heating thingy perfectly plus where the wicks poke thru,, all the gunk and burnt taste. Shake dry, let sit overnight and better than new the next morn! No bad taste big vapor! I've used a single blank for over 5 months now cleaning it this way every 3 or 4 nights. Only takes 5 minutes. And 1 night to dry. Pressure cleaning I guess instead of soaking.

I haven't seen this anywhere so I wanted to put it out there for those in a hurry lol

Just watch the o ring and save your old ones ;)

Hey! Why can't I post a comment on my own thingy here?? For real.

Comments

• sandyc532sandyc532 Posts: 471Member
    Hey I'm game @fisty‌. I'll have to give you method a try.
  • ChipMacChipMac Posts: 335Member
    Where can one buy syringes?
  • mrtmrt Posts: 5,021Member ✭✭✭
    A pharmacy, farm supply store, a vet supply, ebay, amazon, on line, etc.
    Are we talking the type used to inject insulin? If so I thought a prescription was needed. At least I know my father had to get them that way when he was alive.
    Gotcha thanks a lot!
  • antique77antique77 Posts: 8Member
    I am confused on the o-ring. Is this the o-ring on the mouthpiece or the white grommet on the top of the tube inside the blank body? 
    @antique77‌ yes its the little oring/grommet on top of the tube. It's always a good idea to wash and keep them when you throw a used exblank away. Just in case you lose one.
  • fistyfisty Posts: 254Member
    Yeah the one inside on the stem. Without it you are stuck
  • antique77antique77 Posts: 8Member
    I've tried to clean two blanks and, so far, haven't lost an o-ring.
    Wait till ya do lol it's horrible. That lil sucker will slip off and be gone.
  • Kjo87Kjo87 Posts: 19Member
    The o ring loss is the death of me anytime it happens lol! I've never tried cleaning and its gotten too expensive to keep replacing. Scared it will mess them up or they will never be the same after I clean them. Is this a silly worry and have I been throwing away way too much money replacing the old carts with new ones without bothering to try to clean the old ones first for the past 1.5 years?!? Ahh lolol
    Don't listen to him kjo87!! Without the o ring yer screwed! Lol!!! (Messin with you banilla) ;). Listen, if you have a needle and a toothpick you have all the tools u need to just take it out and put it back. Do that. But I do swear by blasting the center tube clean, I mean that's where the burnt taste comes from after all. I don't even know when a blank totally fails, something will melt eventually rite?
    Ok @fisty I just cleaned about 8 exblanks with your syringe and vodka method. Will let you know how it works. Thanks
  • archerarcher Posts: 161Member
    I've been using the same 3 blanks  for a couple months. When the taste changes or the liquid isn't as clear, I clean them.  Soak them with alcohol for a couple hours then rinse them well with hot water, set to dry for a couple days and they are as good as new. I use alcohol because that is what I had on hand, it works so well I saw no reason to buy vodka. All we have in the house are wine and bourbon, neither seemed suitable though bourbon might give a nice flavor  :) 
    Ok ok I've modified a little. I soak overnight one night now then blast thru. Plus I've finally thrown out 2 ex's lol. I've cleaned 1 pro tank with vodka 3 times over 2 days. (Had to try Flavors, got vape mail that day)Shot the vodka thru the stem and wiped dry every time. After cleaning with just warm water and shaking. Kept the bottom as dry as possible. Works fine they are not as fragile as I feared. I do say tho, kept a paper towel in one hand to keep the bottom dry.
  • TalonTalon Posts: 251Member ✭✭
    For users that see @archer‌ suggestion, please do not use rubbing alcohol when cleaning blanks. I have never seen this recommended by anyone else and is not safe IMO
    Sorry I upset everyone, I actually got the suggestion from several sites that discuss e cigs and how to clean your tanks. I will consider switching to vodka, but still believe that no matter what is used to clean you should always rinse well with hot water then allow to thoroughly dry. 
  • FloridaGalFloridaGal Posts: 122Member
    I, too, have read several blogs on other sites that recommend rubbing alcohol. One site also recommends using lemon juice and warns AGAINST using water. Another site recommends denture cleaning tablets.
  • KatFreqKatFreq Posts: 496Member
    @archer, no need to be apologetic for voicing your opinion, thoughts, etc. That is what the forum is for. We are all different, do things differently from one another, that's what makes reading the forum posts so interesting. Even though I may not agree with everyone, it doesn't cause me to like them any less. Its an interesting place. I always feel too, if someone doesn't like your post, or need what you are saying, they can always move on. @archer‌, post without worry so much. \:D/
  • SirVapeALotSirVapeALot Posts: 321Member
    Personally, I don't see anything wrong with cleaning with alcohol - we're all responsible for ourselves and know how conscientious we are. I wouldn't recommend it to someone else - and I think this is the main reason people have traditionally not recommended it to others - because you never know who's on the other end of the advice. They may not allow sufficient evap time, they may not clean it well or completely and there's no telling what could happen.

Here's the condition though - I don't clean, never have, so take from this what you will. If I decided to clean, I'd most likely use alcohol, however I haven't used it and don't plan to start.
  • TalonTalon Posts: 251Member ✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Agree and I shouldn't dictate cleaning methods so hopefully @archer‌ doesn't take personal. I am just very much against cleaning tanks with anything not mean't for ingestion. Like @mrt‌ said in another thread, we are all responsible for ourselves.
    I still have not used my EX blanks yet. I have chocolate and mint liquid to mix. I ran out of MCT in the 0.6 nic. I will be able to get some vodka on wed. I like the idea that the vodka will dry faster than if water was used for cleaning. In my mind if it does not dry fast, it will smell like wet moldy towels. Have you ever been in someones car who had wet moldy beach towels in the trunk! OMG, I do not want my blanks smelling like that. Now please, water users do not go off on me. I read someone say they get a smell. With the luck I have, I would be the one.
  • SirVapeALotSirVapeALot Posts: 321Member
    lmao @KatFreq ewww
  • jennjenn Posts: 389Member
    @KatFreq‌ I am with you on that! I cleaned mine with water and let them sit for days to dry, took a few hits and threw those blanks away. I think it was in my mind they tasted moldy but I couldn't get the thought out of my head. I now use a small fan lol
    @jenn, LOL, maybe u made the comment that got me going..... LOL. It does not take much to set me off. My daughter constantly questions when and how I come up with all the idiosyncracies that my life has become.
  • MrmikMrmik Posts: 556Member

MMmmmm..... @Banillabob, what did you use for colon cleansing? It might work well with EX blanks too?

:))

I gonna get busy soon get them babies cleaned up........ It has accumulated too much for more than one month.

@KatFreq‌ lol!! I've got little quirks about certain things so I'm almost positive my husband questions the same thing about me lol
    Since I live in a very dry climate, and set the blanks to dry where the fan from the laptop helps with the drying, there has never been a wet or moldy odor. Really, the blanks taste like new after cleaning.
    @archer, this will be my first time using the blanks. It sounds like quite a few people use fans. Maybe I can use hair dryer on cold temp. Does the air temp matter with fan or dryer? I will need a definite plan before I start a blank. I will need to figure where it will be standing when not in use. I am guessing you cannot lay it down, it will spill. 2morrow is my 1st day without MCT 0.6. I have zero. Where does everyone stand these blanks? Sounding like the blanks may need a
  • ColinColin Posts: 203Member
    I hold the Ex blank with pliers so I don't burn my thumb and use hair dryer on hot.....it takes like 2 min
    @KatFreq,  you can lay the blanks down, once the mouthpiece is screwed on the blanks  they don't leak.  In fact  once i have filled a  blank I will lay it down to assure that the wicks are thoroughly saturated, although that isn't really necessary.  
    @Colin‌ :-bd heck yes! I'm trying that next time!
  • ColinColin Posts: 203Member
    Be careful when your finished, those metal parts stay pretty hot...
    @archer‌ good idea to lay them down to search for a leak. I will have to watch I do not ruin the wicks by nt keeping them soaked. @colin, thanks for the dryer tip, need all the help I can get. I have a percript bottle that looks tall enough for storage and standing, and childproof cap. Those potassium pills are humungo, so the bottle they put them in is huge. Before potassium, I did not know they came in that big a size. @jenn we need to get those dryers ready.
  • Navy20Navy20 Posts: 1,052Member ✭✭
    @KatFreq, if you figure out a good Chocolate / Mint mix please let us know. Don't know about @jenn‌, but my supply of Mint Chocolate Truffle is dwindling and being unable to purchase more, I am really starting to stretch them out . . . Like using them only on weekends. I have been playing with the eLiquids but can't seem to get the same result. Hopefully you will find the correct ratios to use.
    Okay @fisty I did my 1st exblanks vodka cleaning using your syringe method. Cleaned 9 exblanks that had all tasted a little burnt. Let them dry a few days. Ist one I tried this morning did not work at all. Dead as a door nail. 2nd one perfect, no burnt taste, just like new and there is no stale or vodka taste. Thanks for the great info. Saved me about 40 bucks.
    @Navy20‌ if you figure out that mix or one similar, let me know!!
    @sandyc532‌ wow 9 blanks, lots of vodka. That's a heavy rotation. Glad it worked, there is no need to dry for days, remember, these are wick tanks they work by being soaked. :) to bad one failed.
    @fisty my hubby is a truck driver and I ride with him. So our used exblanks got put into a baggy til we could get home to clean them. Can't have alcohol on a big rig. Hey if I lose one or two it's still saving money. I cleaned with water before but couldn't get rid of burnt taste. Your method took care of that. Thanks again.
  • Navy20Navy20 Posts: 1,052Member ✭✭
    @jenn‌, IF that taste can be matched (and I am having a hard time finding it), I will definitely let you know. I really hope that V2 finds a way to get MCT to us in an eLiquid. Oh Hell V2,
    bring back the cartridges also. I swear, MCT has got to be the best flavor outside of the Tobacco line. V2,
    Do you not understand that WE need that flavor?
  • daytripperdaytripper Posts: 392Member
    @sandyc532, Vodka does the trick! I had one tank with the burnt taste that I cleaned with vodka and it was hard to draw when all was said and done. I used a can of air to "littlely" blow down into the center post and found a bunch of burnt wick strands were trapped in the airway. It worked but it tends to wick a little heavier into the center post, so I only use it on the Power Cig cause it runs hotter and gives a real thick puff.

When not in use, I keep it standing upright in a 38 caliber plastic ammo tray which I also use for my tank drying and storage rack.
  • rbaker1009rbaker1009 Posts: 1,150Member
    HaHa @daytripper, been saving my 9mm ammo trays for storage, carts and blanks fit perfectly!
    @daytripper‌ what a cool idea. I will have to get one from my son to use for the drying process. Also I never thought of the canned air. I just changed the cleaned one I put on this morning because it became hard to draw after 3 refills. Will have to try a can of air.
  • daytripperdaytripper Posts: 392Member
    @sandyc532, The canned air with the nozzle works real well for drying out the wicks and tank before going in the drying rack. Just be cautious to not use it full blast when blowing down the center post. I recommend doing it over a paper towel, giving short bursts and look for any debris on the paper or hanging out of the bottom port. It should help to clean out gunk left over from the coil and any loose strands. 
    I guess I have to hit up my son for some ammo trays.